Thursday, November 27, 2008

Cancer Survivor 101

My sweet sister-in-law, Bridget Schnautz, is a recent survivor of lymphoma. She has learned some lessons that will be helpful to us, regardless if we have or ever will have cancer. Her insight can help us take a glimpse and make adjustments now, before having to go through a life changing event!

Cancer Survivor 101
What I’ve Learned

By Bridget Schnautz
Thursday, November 27, 2008

I’ve learned:
~that a bunch of people genuinely love me and care for me; even when I’m
bankrupt of anything to give in return.

~not to take the freshness of a new season for granted or any of the splendor of God’s creation.

~I’ve had a control problem that I’ve spent years calling other things. Like being organized, getting things done, leadership and at the root of the problem have been trust issues.

~that it’s OK to rest even when you have a lot to do.

~that being too busy stunts your spiritual growth.

~how to accept kindnesses graciously.

~what the power of the prayers of many can do.

~that dependency in the right context is a strength, not a weakness.

~that we are closest to God when we surrender our deepest fears to him.

~that God is not only with us in the present but is ahead of us as well.

~to take greater joy in little things.

~that bad things don’t just happen to other people.

~that optimism brings a lot of emotional sunshine to rainy days.

~I see the world more clearly.

~I feel with greater intensity.

~There is an enrichment in life simply by the awareness of its preciousness.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Amen! Bridget, we love you! Thanks for sharing this, Dee Ann!