Monday, November 3, 2008

The Senator and Second Chances



2 Corinthians 12:9, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Meet my gal and her new steed, The Senator! His real name is "Grey". Because we thought his name was boring, I decided we should name him "The Senator" in honor of our retired Southern Illinois Senator Gray!

Let me tell you a bit about The Senator. Over nine years ago The Senator broke a small bone in his back right foot. Ouch!!! This is never good for any animal, but especially a horse.... The people who had him were so fond of him they did everything they could do to make sure he wasn't put down. The Senator spent some time at the University of Illinois...From there, the story is a little fuzzy. But my point is, he was loved enough and had enough value to his original family that he was given a second chance. So my gal, is giving him a chance as well. She understands he will need extra special care and she is willing to give it. You may ask, "That horse can't run barrels and poles!" I beg to differ, he has been running amazing times and has remained sound. He just needs some groceries, a little extra joint supplement and some horse Tylenol called bute.

Let me ask you this, "Has God given you a second chance? Have you ever made a mistake and thought, 'Man, I'm just not worth much. I may as well quit. How could God forgive this? I'll just chuck it all, lower my standards and do my own thing. Maybe I won't be as disappointed.' " I think at one point or other we have all been in situations either by choice or circumstance that we have wondered if we could make it through the tough times. Let me encourage you, God is a God of second chances. If you are feeling down and out, remember, like my gal has faith in The Senator, our God has faith in you! Why shouldn't He? He created you!


3 comments:

Karen said...

Great story, Dee Ann. God gives us great illustrations in daily life of His goodness. It is great your daughter can learn that first hand at a young age.

Paige said...

Congrats on the Senator--sounds like he found the perfect place for his second (or third or fourth) chance

Good luck with him

Anonymous said...

Real life illustrations are so often the best ways to show God to others!