Thursday, November 6, 2008

Parent Teacher Conferences

Parent Teacher Conferences! Have you ever been involved in a parent teacher conference? Were you involved as a parent? A grandparent? A guardian? A teacher? An administrator? An aunt? An uncle? A sister? A brother? Never involved and never want to be? Would love to be but have never had the opportunity?

As a woman raised on guilt and a healthy dose of fear, there has always been a little fear and trepidation involved for me personally when it comes to parent teacher conferences. As a parent...What if I find out my child has been taking after our family members we don't claim? (Just kidding!) What if the teacher says, "Oh, when he stops choking the kids who cut in front of him in line, it will be OK! No worries!" Am I expecting too much? Not enough? Have I scarred my child for life?

As a teacher, I always experience some fear and trepidation before parent teacher conferences. Did I mention I was raised on guilt and healthy dose of fear??? It causes me to ask myself, "Self? Have you really communicated with this family already so the things we're discussing won't come as a shock? Do you have enough documentation and evidence to show parents their child's progress? Have you started the discussion with a positive? Progressed to areas of needed growth? Have you reiterated the positives and a plan for the future??? Have you remembered these parents are entrusting their greatest gift to you???"

As an administrator, I ask myself, "Self? Have you given your teachers all of the tools they need to have successful conferences? Do your staff members have a meal to eat so they can focus on preparation for the conference and not where they'll eat? Are the secretaries prepared with the info they need? Have you made yourself available to parents? Teachers? Are you doing what's best for kids? Are you supporting your teachers? Are you providing usable information to parents? Does the community know what great staff you have?"

As a Christian, I really wish I could have a Parent Teacher Conference with my Father and teacher, God! I wish I could sit with Him and hear, "Dee, I'm so glad you were able to meet with me! I just want to compliment you for taking the time out of your crazy busy life to meet with me. Dee, we also have some areas to work on in the future. Dee, you may not be as patient as you need to be. You know your temper can get the best of you at times. Remember, not to sin in your anger. We also need to have a little talk about your priorities. Are you really setting a positive example for those sweet punks I've entrusted to you for the next few years??? Ouch! Now, Dee, let me just finish up. Remember, you have great potential. I have a plan for you... Here's the plan in detail!!!!

Sometimes, I would really, really, really like to see that plan in DETAIL... As outlined by God. Am I doing what God wants of me??? If I'm honest with myself, I already know the answer. The elementary/simplistic answer would be, "Dee, just be faithful and finish the race well!"

Here's the challenge...Please use the gifts you've been given. It's a complete and total cop out to say, "I don't have a gift!" Use your gifts! Finish the race well!

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the father through Him." Colossians 3:17

No comments: